We at Optiat harness the power of plants to create natural, sustainable beauty products. Our coffee scrubs are made with the used coffee grounds that we collect from cafes, bars and restaurants across London!
We are no longer happy to put food laden with chemicals in to our bodies, with good reason. So why would we be willing to put products laden with chemicals on to our bodies? If you look at an ingredient list for a food item and can’t understand what it says, then you need to think twice about consuming it! We at Optiat apply the same critical, questioning eye when we create our skincare products.
We just love to get in the kitchen and experiment with different food-based ingredients and medicinal herbs and plants! One of our favourite ingredients for natural skincare is coffee.
1. It is a fantastic alternative to plastic microbeads which pollute the oceans and kill wildlife. Hard to believe, but these microbeads (also known as nurdles) can be found in countless exfoliators still today!
2. The fine coffee grounds act as a natural exfoliator, helping to buff away dry and dead skin, leaving you with smooth, soft skin.
3. The caffeine in coffee helps stimulate blood flow making it effective against skin conditions such as acne, eczema, cellulite and stretch marks, and helping to address those areas in need of renewal and regeneration.
4. Coffee is the same pH as your skin - meaning it won't leave it feeling dry!
We also add Himalayan salt to the our recipe below for the antiseptic qualities and to act as a natural preservative.
Give the below a go – play around and don't be afraid to experiment!
Optiat DIY Coffee Body Scrub
- 100g of freshly-brewed coffee grounds (you can use fresh unbrewed coffee grounds too if you're not a coffee drinker!!)
- 2 Tablespoons Almond Oil (can also use Walnut Oil, Avocado Oil, Jojoba Oil or Macadamia Oil)
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 10g of Sea Salt
- 20g of Coconut Palm Sugar (you can also use Rapadura or even regular Sugar)
- 5-10 drops Essential Oils of choice - see below for some ideas!
Cedarwood – A woody scent used for calming and to alleviate stress and anxiety.
Peppermint – A cooling agent that enhances mood, sharpens focus, combats irritation and redness, alleviates symptoms of congestion, and aids in digestion.
Rose – Soothing rose helps with circulation, inflammation, and depression.
Jasmine – Sweet smelling Jasmine has been known to enhance libido, and ease depression, tension and stress.
Bergamot – This citrus scented oil is great from skin infections such as eczema and psoriasis.
Tea Tree – A natural immune booster and known as an antiseptic good for infections, cuts and burns.
Ylang Ylang – This sweet aroma is great for reducing stress and a potent aphrodisiac.
Lavender – A well known stress reliever but also a potent anti-inflammatory and a sedative.
Lemon – A good choice for skin irritation and poor circulation. A good choice for improving mood and reducing cellulite!
Measure all the ingredients into a medium bowl and stir to combine with a spatula or a wooden spoon.
Transfer to a jar or another pot with a lid and store keep in the bathroom.
Apply in the shower or bath on damp skin.
Massage into skin in a circular motion.
Leave for 3-5 minutes for the essential oils to absorb into the skin for full effect.
Rinse off thoroughly.
Your skin should feel incredibly soft and smooth. You'll love the feeling!
Enjoyed making your own?
Try the real thing - our natural, sustainable scrubs start from only £6.99!